Do you like your life or are you just passing the time? Are you doing what you want to be doing right now or do you find yourself jealous at other people’s highlight reels on Facebook? Are you working towards doing what you want or are you waiting for life to happen to you?
Many people feel like their life has gotten off track, or maybe that they have been going the wrong place the entire time. If this strikes a chord, it might be time to suss out why you are living the life you currently are if it is not what you want.
What is a priority? Priorities are the most important things in your life, what you deem most important to yourself. Whatever you make a priority in your life has a higher chance of flourishing as it is getting more attention. Priorities show themselves in the amount of time you dedicate to something and the amount of money(which is ultimately the value placed on your time) you spend on the things important to you.
I will use traveling as an example of goal achievement and priorities because I know many people claim travel as one of the things they would like to do more of and are not doing anything to fulfill that goal. Many people who claim to want to travel, never actually do, they like travel pages on Facebook, they have dreams of lounging on the beach or partying away in a foreign country. They do not work towards it; they do no research to find out how they could do it now, and when they do get a chance to take a vacation they visit relatives. Clearly, travel is not at the top of their priorities. People give excuses well I if I just had more money. False, you could travel now you just have to adjust your expectations and make it happen. Or maybe you should just own it, and know that traveling really isn’t that important to you and stop being wistful about it because truly you would rather see your family or play basketball with your friends.
1. Write a list of your top 5 priorities. Examples: Friendships, Spouse, Children, Security, Health, Success, Pleasure, Nature, Status, and Adventure.
2. Write a list of 5 goals you are working on.
3. Take your average week and tally up the hours you spend doing things. You will quickly see where your current priorities are. If you dislike your job and you are spending the majority of your week doing it and no time applying for different jobs or doing research or education on what you would rather be doing it might be time to reevaluate that.
4. Evaluate your monthly statements, where is your money going? Whatever you are spending it on is where you are placing your priorities.Do you have a new car payment, saying appearances is important to you? Do you have money going into savings every paycheck, showing security is a value you place importance on?
5. Compare and Contrast 1&2 with 3&4. Are you working towards your goals? Are you putting your energies into where you want them? Try to figure out why things might not line up, and adjust your life accordingly.